Penticton & South Okanagan News
Fire destroys house
A fire destroyed a house in Penticton on Saturday night.
Around 10:30 p.m. emergency crews responded to the south end of Martin street to find a house fully engulfed in flames.
By 11 p.m. the streets were full of bystanders and the fire appeared to be contained to the roof.
Firefighters were inside the house battling stubborn flames that kept igniting the attic area and roof.
Two engines, several RCMP cars and at least one ambulance responded.
Witnesses said they heard the flames from inside the apartment across the street. Then shouting.
They went outside to see the whole front of the house on fire.
RCMP said they were on-site to help maintain the scene.
"There were no reported injuries, everyone in the house got out," one officer said.
One resident of the house, walking around with a cat under one arm and a bag of cat food under the other, said he thought the fire may have been started by a candle.
Another resident said she was in the bath when the fire started and just had time to grab a few items and a sleeping child who was on crutches before escaping.
"No cards, no debit, no clothes, no money - we lost everything," she said.
One cat did perish in the blaze. Firefighters brought it out of the house and tried to revive the animal in the driveway, but it passed away.
Neighbouring homes did not appear to be directly affected by the flames.
If you have pictures or video, send them to [email protected]
Comments on this story are pre-moderated. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.
Read more Penticton / S. Okanagan News
- Girl assaulted at parkKamloops - 11:47 am
- One dead in shootingBC - 11:44 am
- $400,000 drug bustBC - 12:31 pm
- Interior Health power failureCentral Okanagan - 12:34 pm
Town of Oliver
Town of Osoyoos
Town of Keremeos
Regional District Okanagan-Similkameen
Penticton & Wine Country Chamber
Penticton Discussion Forum
District of Summerland
Summerland Chamber & Tourism
School District 67 - Okanagan Skaha
School District 53 - Okanagan Similkameen
Okanagan Regional Library
Township of Hedley