The wait is over, the best of the best have been announced.
The 2014 Best Varietal Wine awards kicked off the 20th Spring Okanagan Wine Festival in Penticton, Thursday.
The competition featured 25 different categories including several new blend categories, with a total of 380 wines entered. The tasting panels were comprised of 15 expert wine critics and sommeliers.
Within each of the 25 categories, the judges narrowed the selection down to 75 finalists and one overall clear winner being declared ‘The Best’ in each category.
Andrea Vescovi, wine director from Vancouver’s Blue Water Cafe was one of this year’s judges.
“As our industry progresses with every vintage I feel more confident showcasing our regional wines tableside.”
Here is a list of the winners:
- Best Merlot - Quinta Ferreira Estate Winery, Merlot 2009
- Best Pinot Blanc - Wild Goose Vineyards, Mystic River Pinot Blanc 2013
- Best Pinot Gris - Poplar Grove Winery, Pino Gris 2013
- Best Pinot Noir - Gehringer Brothers Estate Winery, Optimum Pinot Noir 2012
- Best Red Blends Other - Covert Farms Family Estate, Amicitia 2010
- Best Red Meritage Blends Cabernet Dominated - Poplar Grove Winery, Legacy 2008
- Best Meritage Blends Merlot Dominated - Quinta Ferreira Estate Winery, Obra Prima 2009
- Best Red Single Varieties Other - Moon Curser Vineyards, Carmenere 2012
- Best Riesling - Lang Vineyards, Farm Reserve Riesling 2012
- Best Rose/Blush - CedarCreek Estate Winery, Pinot Noir Rose 2013
- Best Sauvignon Blanc - La Frenz Winery, Rattlesnake Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc 2013
- Best Sparkling - 8th Generation, Integrity 2012
- Best Syrah/Shiraz Based Blends - Ruby Blues Winery, Red Stiletto NV
- Best Syrah/Shiraz - Silkscarf Winery, Shiraz Reserve 2009
- Best Viognier - Silkscarf Winery, Viognier 2013
- Best White Blends - Volcanic Hills Estate Winery, Magma White 2012
- Best White Single Varieties Other - La Frenz Winery, Knorr Vineyard Semillon 2013
For the 2014 Best of Varietal wine awards finalists click here.