Sunday, October 26th7.6°C
23888
22968

Oliver house fire

A family of five has been displaced after a large fire roared through their home in Oliver.

The blaze began around 6 a.m. Monday morning, quickly engulfing a home at 6363 Main Street.

Early reports indicate the fire may have started in an adjoining garage, with gasoline being a possible accelerant.

The building on the other side of the garage has also suffered severe smoke and water damage. The office is currently occupied by MLA Linda Larson, who says her front window was broken so that art work, modems, and computers could be taken out. 

Larson will work from her home until the another office can be set up, adding that her personal space in the rear of the building was heavily damaged. Everything that can be removed will be taken out later today once authorities finish dealing with the fire, and their investigation.

About 30 volunteer firefighters as well as Oliver RCMP, Oliver BC Ambulance, and FortisBC converged on the scene.

It is believed that the Oliver Chronicle Newspaper building located nearby also suffered some damage.

-- With files from the Oliver Daily News


A family escaped a house fire Monday morning in Oliver.

The home erupted into flames around 6 a.m. on Main Street, and it quickly became fully engulfed.

Fire fighters are now working to save adjacent buildings.

The BC Ambulance service was on hand, but there are no reports of injuries at this time.

The Oliver Daily news is reporting the couple (with a boy 8 and two girls 3 and 5) will need everything. Phone Shawna Michaud if you can help with children's and young adult clothing. More contact info email [email protected] or call 498-5523.

The home is located next to Linda Larson's MLA office, they are covering the office with water to try and stop it from catching fire. Crews did break the window of the office to remove items.

Flames appear to be contained, but there is water and smoke damage to the MLA's office, the Oliver Chronicle is located next to Larson's unit.

Main Street (Hwy. 97) is blocked off, but a detour is in place.

The home is a complete loss.

More details to follow.

18810

COMMENTS WELCOME

Comments on this story are pre-moderated and approval times may vary. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.



Read more Penticton / S. Okanagan News

23855


Recent Trending



20008










Castanet pays for news tips. Email us a news tip, photo, or video and your name will be in a draw for our weekly news tip prize $25. Email us [email protected]






Penticton SPCA Featured Pet

Britta
Britta Penticton SPCA >



23059




South Okanagan Quick Links City of Penticton
Penticton Tourism
Penticton Transit
Okanagan Falls
Town of Oliver
Town of Osoyoos
Town of Keremeos
Interior Health
Okanagan College
Regional District Okanagan-Similkameen
Penticton & Wine Country Chamber
Penticton Discussion Forum
District of Summerland
Summerland Chamber & Tourism
School District 67 - Okanagan Skaha
School District 53 - Okanagan Similkameen
Okanagan Regional Library
Township of Hedley



Member of BC Press Council


21343