Penticton & South Okanagan News
Smokey the bear causes fire
A small fire broke out at an apartment building in Penticton on Sunday, and crews were shocked when they found the source.
Another resident heard the alarm just before 4 p.m. and called the building manager, who found smoke in the unit and called the fire department.
“It looks like the fire started in a battery operated stuffed animal,” says Fire Chief Wayne Williams.
“It had been on the shelf. The batteries were dead and it hadn’t been used in quite a while.”
Nobody was home at the time and Williams says nothing was left of the bear, just two watch batteries and two springs.
He has never heard of this happening before and says they will investigate further as to whether this particular toy had been recalled.
Comments on this story are pre-moderated. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.
Read more Penticton / S. Okanagan News
- Challenge pro field heats upPenticton / S. Okanagan - 4:10 pm
- Knox, Dilworth parks reopenKelowna - 4:23 pm
- Underwear run a big hitPenticton / S. Okanagan - 3:07 pm
- Puppy attacked at parkKelowna - 11:34 am
Town of Oliver
Town of Osoyoos
Town of Keremeos
Regional District Okanagan-Similkameen
Penticton & Wine Country Chamber
Penticton Discussion Forum
District of Summerland
Summerland Chamber & Tourism
School District 67 - Okanagan Skaha
School District 53 - Okanagan Similkameen
Okanagan Regional Library
Township of Hedley