Thursday, August 28th24.7°C
22568
22642

Home erupts in flames

1:50 p.m. update: 

An elderly Cawston couple lost most of their belongings in a fast moving fire that tore through their home Friday morning.

The blaze broke out around 8 a.m. at the home of Marlene and George Mysel on Barcelo Road.

"You don't expect your house to burn down on a Friday morning," said the couple's granddaughter Kebrina Byrne. "It's just a real shock to them."

Marlene, 79, and George, 83, were badly shaken up, but they were not injured in the fire. For the time being they are staying next door with family members.

They declined to comment.

Keremeos Fire Chief Jordy Bosscha said they got the call about an attic fire, and first-in crews were met with a fully engulfed garage and probably half the house.

They started to attack the blaze, but the area has very limited water, and crews were having issues with the volume of water to fight the flames.

A mutual aid crew from Osoyoos came in, by late morning firefighters were still on scene.

Bryan Horrocks, the couple's son, said he had just visited with them, when he heard crackling and popping.

He opened the garage and looked in and saw fire on one wall and a ball of fire up in the attic.

"I banged on the door and told them there was a fire, and all Hell broke loose," he said. "We grabbed a few things and got out. It is just devastating because they just got the house the way they want it and now it is gone."

Byrne said the couple moved up from the coast in search of a slower pace of life a few years ago.

Since moving here, they have also experienced a flash flood that filled their basement with water and mud.

The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental.

The fire on Barcelo Road is the third in the Keremeos area this month. Last Saturday night the Riverbed Bistro was badly damaged in a fire. Early Monday morning a building, housing a new business, on Main Street was destroyed after a fire broke out.

 


10 a.m.: A fire has completely destroyed a home in Cawston.

Officials on scene say the Keremeos Fire Department received the call around 8 a.m. Friday. There a report of a house fire at 1888 Barcelo Road.

The fire department says they arrived within 10 minutes, but the house was already fully engulfed.

Three people escaped unharmed.

The fire appears to be accidental. More details to follow.

Send photos and video to [email protected]

18810

COMMENTS WELCOME

Comments on this story are pre-moderated. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.



Read more Penticton / S. Okanagan News

21524


Recent Trending



20006



20036






Castanet pays for news tips. Email us a news tip, photo, or video and your name will be in a draw for our weekly news tip prize $25. Email us [email protected]



22198


Penticton SPCA Featured Pet

Skaha Lake
Skaha Lake Penticton SPCA >



22700




South Okanagan Quick Links City of Penticton
Penticton Tourism
Penticton Transit
Okanagan Falls
Town of Oliver
Town of Osoyoos
Town of Keremeos
Interior Health
Okanagan College
Regional District Okanagan-Similkameen
Penticton & Wine Country Chamber
Penticton Discussion Forum
District of Summerland
Summerland Chamber & Tourism
School District 67 - Okanagan Skaha
School District 53 - Okanagan Similkameen
Okanagan Regional Library
Township of Hedley



Member of BC Press Council


21343