Penticton & South Okanagan News
Smoke inhalation causes motel death
The young woman found in a Penticton motel room last summer following a fire, died of carbon monoxide poisoning as a result of smoke inhalation, according to a coroner's report.
The report also says a mix of drugs contributed to the death of 27-year-old Kimberly Lynn Lakey on Aug. 15.
Lakey, who had been living at the Jubilee Motel on Skaha Lake Road for three months, was found on the floor just inside the door.
The investigation revealed she was a heavy smoker and evidence suggested some unattended smoking material smouldered between the bed mattress and the upright divider causing the fabric to ignite.
Illicit drug paraphenalia was also found in the unit. The smoke detector in the room was deemed to not be in operation.
The death was classified as accidental.
Comments on this story are pre-moderated and approval times may vary. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.
Read more Penticton / S. Okanagan News
- Traffic stop payoutVernon / N. Okanagan - 12:17 pm
- Ross Gorman passes awayWest Kelowna - 3:01 pm
- Candidates' forumMunicipal Elections 2014 - 2:55 pm
- Officer charged with murderBC - 11:52 am
Town of Oliver
Town of Osoyoos
Town of Keremeos
Regional District Okanagan-Similkameen
Penticton & Wine Country Chamber
Penticton Discussion Forum
District of Summerland
Summerland Chamber & Tourism
School District 67 - Okanagan Skaha
School District 53 - Okanagan Similkameen
Okanagan Regional Library
Township of Hedley