Friday, April 18th11.6°C

Early morning fire sends 3 to hospital

A cigarette is to blame for an early morning fire in an apartment building on Winnipeg Street in Penticton.

According to assistant fire chief, Dave Spalding, a carelessly discarded cigarette started bedding on fire.

Spalding says fire crews were able to respond within four minutes of the call. They were able to get the female tenant out of the second floor apartment unit and then they put the fire out.

The woman was taken to hospital with smoke inhalation and minor burns.

Several residents of the six storey building evacuated on their own upon hearing the fire alarm.

Spalding says those residents were taken to an activity room in the adjacent retirement home.

Six people were treated by paramedics on scene.

Two were also taken to Penticton Regional Hospital as a precaution.

Spalding says damage to the apartment unit was minimal.


Read more Penticton / S. Okanagan News


Recent Trending



Castanet pays for news tips. Email us a news tip, photo, or video and your name will be in a draw for our weekly news tip prize $25. Email us [email protected]


Penticton SPCA Featured Pet

Sombrio Penticton SPCA >


South Okanagan Quick Links City of Penticton
Penticton Tourism
Penticton Transit
Okanagan Falls
Town of Oliver
Town of Osoyoos
Town of Keremeos
Interior Health
Okanagan College
Regional District Okanagan-Similkameen
Penticton & Wine Country Chamber
Penticton Discussion Forum
District of Summerland
Summerland Chamber & Tourism
School District 67 - Okanagan Skaha
School District 53 - Okanagan Similkameen
Okanagan Regional Library
Township of Hedley

Member of BC Press Council