Penticton and South Okanagan
Hunter found safe
Oct 20, 2013 / 11:59 am
The first missing hunter of the 2013 winter hunting season was found safe by Penticton and District Search and Rescue on Firday.
The man was located by a PENSAR team traveling to the search area in a helicopter.
He had built a fire that provided a great smoke signal and allowed the team to locate him quickly.
The overdue hunter was returned to his camp within 2 1/2 hours of the initial call out, which PENSAR says was due in part to the quick thinking of his hunting companion, who reported him overdue by contacting 911 and supplying the team with an accurate GSP location of the point last seen.
Now that we are well into the fall season, the mornings and evenings are dipping down into the single digits. At the higher altitudes there is heavy frost and snow.
Here are a few key points to provided by PENSAR to help ensure a safe hunting season:
- Tell someone where you are going and when you are due back and stick to these plans.
- Know your limitations.
- Take all appropriate equipment including extra food, water, and fire starting supplies.
- Dress for the weather with layers.
- If your head to toe in Camouflage, it is helpful to have a bright color on the inside of your jacket that can be used as a signalling device.
- The Adventure Smart web site has excellent resource materials for all outdoor activities and is worth checking out.www.adventuresmart.ca
- Remember if you or a loved one is ever requiring the services of Penticton Search and Rescue call 911.
Read more Penticton / S. Okanagan News
City of Penticton
Penticton Discussion Forum
Penticton & Wine Country Chamber
Regional District Okanagan-Similkameen
District of Summerland
Summerland Chamber & Tourism
Town of Oliver
Town of Osoyoos
Town of Keremeos
School District 67 - Okanagan Skaha
School District 53 - Okanagan Similkameen
Okanagan Regional Library
- Boil water notice rescinded Dec 6
- Gallagher Lake residents to meet Monday Dec 6
- Blanket drive underway in Penticton Dec 6
- Apex to open this weekend Dec 6
- RDOS elects chair and vice chair for 2014 Dec 6
- Vehicle ends up in Skaha Lake Dec 5
- Sentencing unfolds free of drama Dec 5