Over 1000 evacuees can go home
Sep 10, 2012 / 6:16 pm
Approximately 1,134 Peachland residents evacuated as a result of the Trepanier Forest Fire will be able to return home tonight.
The Regional District says, "Thanks to favourable weather conditions and through excellent firefighting efforts (people can return home)."
Although residents on the following roads are free to return to their homes, they are reminded that they are on now on Evacuation Alert and must still be prepared to leave with little notice:
- Peachland Elementary School
- Clements Crescent, including the commercial area
- Chidley Road
- 1st Avenue
- 2nd Avenue
- 3rd Avennue
- 4th Avenue
- 6th Avenue
- 7th Avenue
- Pincushion Place
- Ponderosa Drive
- Ponderosa Place
- Clarence Road
- Greata Road
- Lang Road
- Lornell Crescent
- Lornell Court
- MacNeill Court
- Morrison Crescent
- Morrison Place
- Shaw Road
- Sutherland Road
- Walker Road
Also included are these properties on Trepanier Bench Road:
- 5149, 5151, 5155, 5161, 5165, 5178, 5180, 5217, 5227, 5237, 5329, 5240, 5250, 5260, 5270, 5280, 5290, 5325, 5335
And the following properties on Huston Road:
- 5108, 5122, 5132, 5136, 5146, 5164, 5178, 5192, 5200, 5208, 5216, 5224, 5232, 5236, 5242, 5246, 5250, 5256, 5262, 5274, 5280, 5286, 5292, 5300, 5334, 5348, 5350, 5352, 5354, 5356, 5358
The Central Okanagan Emergency Operation Centre is correcting some information that was previously released regarding the Evacuation Order
The following properties remain on Evacuation Order and are not allowed to return to their homes:
- 5091 Cousins Place
- One property north of Highway 97 next to 4713 MacKinnon Road
- 4713, 4850, 5126 MacKinnon Road
The Emergency Operation Centre apologizes for this misinformation and any misunderstanding caused.
Returning residents are reminded that fire crews will be working in the Evacuation Alert area and to be cautious as emergency crews and equipment may be accessing roads and properties. Residents can expect to see smoke, small open flame or embers. Emergency crews will be monitoring the area through the night. Residents are encouraged to be patient as they may encounter traffic congestion.
416 people remain on Evacuation Order. Complete maps of evacuated areas are available here.
The Evacuation Alert involving properties east of Highway 97 has now been lifted, including the downtown and waterfront areas from Princeton Avenue to Robinson Place, affecting 432 people.
The fire is estimated at 200 hectares in size and is 50% contained.
The three homes within the District of Peachland that were destroyed in the fire are:
- 5315 Coldham Road (2 residences)
- 5266 Coldham
A fourth home at within the Central Okanagan West Electoral Area that appears to have been abandoned was also destroyed. Various outbuildings and vehicles have also been impacted.
Emergency Support Services will be closing its reception centre at the Westbank Lions Hall at 6 p.m. tonight, reopening at 9 a.m. tomorrow, September 11, 2012.
For information regarding Peachland Elementary and bussing, please visit SD23.
Read more Peachland Fire articles
Castanet pays for news tips. Email us a news tip, photo, or video and your name will be in a draw for our weekly news tip prize $25. Email us firstname.lastname@example.org
- Trepanier fire alerts ended Sep 16
- Slow response to Peachland wildfire Sep 16
- Trepanier fire recovery centre opens Sep 14
- Slideshow: Fire through your lens Sep 14
- Trepanier wildfire alerts still in effect Sep 14
Tweets about "#PeachlandFire"