Working from home?
Technology has vastly opened new doors of opportunity for us to accomplish our tasks and to stay connected without ever leaving our homes. I can still remember those times when interaction with another person was a phone call away. Today, with a few keystrokes, we can communicate, follow, share and chat, anywhere and at any time.
With these technological changes, a home office now has many advantages including many tax incentives. You can save on fuel, office rental, commuting, parking and coffee that are all tax deductible. However, there are many disadvantages if you are not careful. Procrastination, chatting with friends, long afternoon lunches or surfing the internet are all samples of time waster traps.
Here are 5 rules that will help keep you focused, productive and motivated.
1. At the end of your day list ‘action plan items’ you want to accomplish. Prioritize and assign each item the level of importance as it needs to be completed.
2. Remove all items that are not business related from your office. Remove household items - recipe cards, children’s storybooks, dishes, toys, games, videos, etc. to a designated space out of your office area; they are all distractions and will keep you from focusing on completing your task.
3. Place recyclable and shred containers close to your desk. This helps to reduce clutter and eliminates excess in and around your workspace.
4. Place office equipment including printer/scanner within reach of your computer. This method encourages a paperless environment by scanning receipts and documents. Make sure to purchase a scanner that has the pdf option.
5. Reduce procrastination and increase productivity by taking regular breaks. Schedule regular mini breaks between tasks. Get up from your desk, stretch, go for a short walk, have a coffee or drink water. Give your brain time to relax and unwind. You will feel fresh and re-energized.
Working from home does have its privileges. It can also be challenging to take measures to discipline yourself to stay motivated to complete tasks and accomplish your goals. The five rules are guidelines to help you create routines to stay focused in your day. Follow these suggested guidelines to develop your own routines to help you stay motivated and productive in your home office.
Read more Office Clutter Buster articles
- Is your business on a hamster wheel? Aug 19
- Business systems that work! Jul 23
- Working from home? Jun 22
- A system dependent operation May 22
- Go paperless! Apr 24
- Key areas for business satisfaction Mar 25
- Name your chaos Feb 25
- Messy work desk? Jan 24
(Click for RSS instructions.)