Aberdeen Lake fire still not contained
Aug 28, 2012 / 12:36 pm
The wildfire burning south of Aberdeen Lake is not contained, but has also not grown in size since Monday night.
Fire Information Officer Kevin Skrepnek says heavy equipment has been brought in and crews have made good progress digging a guard around the blaze.
"The fire activity has died down, but it still is active. We are still seeing open flame and some trees torching."
There are 55 personnel on scene and a helicopter, but Skrepnek says there is no longer a need for airtankers.
Crews have been working on the east side of the fire, near the Nicklen Lake Resort, and Skrepnek says the threat to that area has subsided.
Forestry should have an estimate on containment by mid-Tuesday afternoon.
Aberdeen Lake is located about 15 kms. south of Lumby.
Read more North Okanagan News
- Lumby floods; Mayor points finger May 24
- Waters expected to rise in the Shuswap May 21
- Tale of an 'un-happy' happy face May 21
- Trampled stampede rider in hospital May 21
- Arrested after scuffle with cops May 21