Letters to the editor
Letters truck in over new route
Re: Linda Zorns letter on Castanet regarding "Truck Route" Nov. 24/2012 'Truck Traffic on Gordon Drive Decreases in the past 5 Years'.
I just want to comfort Linda and possibly all the residences and businesses on Gordon Drive that are concerned, with a study that was done from 2007 to 2010, BEFORE Ellis street allowed only 12 hour truck traffic, as well as the two times Ellis street was CLOSED to all traffic including trucks.
Here's a direct quote from the report to city council, and what their decision to Close Ellis St. as a truck route was based on: "Over all, the heavy truck traffic volume has decreased on Gordon drive over the past five years, as shown on the table below" The report further states, "More Importantly, it shows the truck traffic during the two times in 2010 and 2012 when Ellis street was closed for construction and ALL Truck traffic was diverted to alternate routes.
Despite the closure of Ellis, Truck traffic has continued to decrease." These stats were captured during the Ellis street closure in May of 2010, and Sept, 2012. Daily volumes 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- 2007 - Total vehicles 11,600 - Heavy Trucks 2190
- 2010 - Total vehicles 7225 - Heavy trucks 1215
- 2012 - Total vehicles 9510 - Heavy Trucks 770
I think this is Proof that by Closing Ellis street as a Truck route will NOT add 400 more trucks daily to Gordon Drive, even when Ellis street was Closed!
The full report is on the city of Kelowna's web site www.kelowna.ca, and encourage everyone to read it. City Council did do their homework, and have been responsible in making their decisions based on these facts.
Read more Letters to the editor
- Dead rock climber identifiedPenticton / S. Okanagan - 1:54 pm
- Man rescued from lakePenticton / S. Okanagan - 12:31 pm
- Mom petitions govt, teachersKelowna - 2:56 pm
- Students lament on strikeBC - 1:40 pm
for these and other issues.
- The highway is not deadly Sep 1
- Disheartened by government Sep 1
- Accidents on Hwy 97 North Sep 1
- Burning issue with wildfires Aug 30
- Sure, keep marijuana illegal Aug 27