A symphony of heritage
Sep 21, 2013 / 5:00 am
Kelowna City Council will be asked to approve a five year lease allowing the Okanagan Symphony to utilize Knowles House on Bernard Avenue for office and storage space.
The request will be made when council next convenes Monday.
The 106-year-old building has been vacant since the Alzheimer Society moved out in Dec, 2012.
Both the Symphony and Central Okanagan Heritage Society expressed interest in renting the property.
A matrix was developed to evaluate the two proposals:
- Sustainability of heritage maintenance
- Social/economic value to the community
- Broad community based organization
- Monetary value to the city
The OSO was selected using the criteria.
If approved by council the symphony would pay $10,680 in the first year and $13,680 in each of the final four years of the lease.
They would also be responsible for all utilities and property taxes.
"The rent reduction in the first year recognizes the minor interior renovations required by the OSO and the need for continued outside storage space while the renovations are underway," says Property Management Manager, Ron Forbes in his report for council.
"There has been an addition to the house that is in poor condition and needs to be removed. The house requires renovations to return the building to its original form and character."
Forbes says rental revenues have been put in reserve to fund the renovations with continued revenue contributions ensuring funding for the restoration.
He adds the OSO has indicated that proximity to Knowles Park opens up programming opportunities for small concerts in the park.
The city holds an option to renew the least for an additional five years term.
A rent review will be conducted at that time to ensure market rent is achieved.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library
- Cemetery eyes cost of living increases Dec 10
- Improvements to Centennial Hall, park Dec 10
- All aboard the Santa Sleigh Bus Dec 9
- FortisBC offers Union binding arbitration Dec 9
- Glenmore food drive tonight Dec 9
- Garage fire quickly knocked down Dec 9
- Thrift store celebrates 10 years strong Dec 9
- Big White Sweater Ball Dec 9
- Christmas display going up at Kerry Park Dec 9
- Castanet's Week in Review Dec 8