Hitting the streets on the coldest night
Feb 24, 2013 / 12:48 pm
Coldest Night Feb. 23, 2013
It was not too cold for the 116 Kelowna residents who set forth on a unique walk around the city Saturday night. It was the second annual Coldest Night of the Year walk. Each walker had the decision to go 10k or 5k.
The Kelowna community raised over $17,000 towards the event. It was all part of a national walk, the total money raised across Canada was $1,379,469.
Proceeds from the Kelowna walk will be going to Kelowna Gospel Mission to help the homeless, hungry and hurting in this community.
The people at the Kelowna Gospel Mission showed excitement to help others get pumped up prior to the walk.
Jessica Spelliscy says, “I am participating in the Coldest Night of the Year because I think it is important to support the Kelowna Gospel Mission. It is a Kelowna establishment and downtown and we need to support them.”
Young walker Audrey Whitman says, “I wanted to help people.”
Katherine says, “I was at a gas station just behind the Gospel Mission and a fellow asked me for money and I felt really sorry for him and I had a feeling it was for drugs because he could have got food from the gospel mission . . . this is what I’m doing for him today.
Here is a list of the top 10 teams:
- Team Benson, Captain: Randy Benson - Raised: $5,800 | 10 members
- Frozen Feet. Captain: Karl Heinitz - Raised: $5,026 | 33 members
- Right Foot Forward, Captain: Debbie MacMillan - Raised: $4,235 | 5 members
- Team 30K, Captain: Jessica Samuels - Raised: $790 | 7 members
- Top of the World Tootsies, Captain: Sonja Nelson - Raised: $385 | 8 members
- Team Astral, Captain: Chanine Carr - Raised: $380 | 13 members
- Harnett, Captain: Jeremy Harnett - Raised: $280 | 8 members
- Team Revolution, Captain: Jalon Grassmick - Raised: $250 | 3 members
- Pursuit @ WPC, Captain: Melissa Feddersen - Raised: $200 | 4 members
- Team Sherry, Captain: Sherry Dahl - Raised: $90 | 5 members
For more information and to see how you can help click here.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Power back on in East Kelowna May 21
- Crash sends four to hospital May 21
- Quiet start to the summer season May 21
- Stabbing arrest May 21
- Last day to register for PlayOn! Kelowna May 21
- Thunderstorm watch in effect May 21
- Calling all green thumbs May 21
- Glenmore crash May 20
- Grad party rollover May 20
- Annual regatta is largest in BC Interior May 19