Black box competition streaming live
Feb 9, 2013 / 9:33 am
As the winner of Gold Medal Plates Vancouver, the Waterfront Restaurant and Wine Bar owner, Chef Mark Filatow, moves on to represent the province in the annual Canadian Culinary Championships.
Using local ingredients he will compete against nine others during the three-day event, in the hopes of taking gold again.
Saturday is a Black Box Competition where each chef will be given 60 minutes to plan and create two different dishes, using six diverse food items provided.
The local chef says each competition requires a different skill set, but he hopes to make Kelowna proud.
"There is a little pressure being the home town guy because you always want to play the championship card….. I am really trying to stay focused (with) myself and the dish we are doing for Saturday, as well as having a frame work for the other two competitions."
Filtow realizes this is a great opportunity for the whole Okanagan to shine as he serves local ingredients that many will not have tasted before.
"This is really what we do at the restaurant every day so we are carrying that forward to the competition as well."
Follow the competition over the weekend on Twitter using #CCC2013.
To watch the live feed from the Black Box Competition, visit here.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Annual regatta is largest in BC Interior May 19
- Rutland May Day Parade video May 19
- Kasugai Gardens open into the evening May 19
- The Week in Review May 19
- Rutland May Days' information May 18
- Knox Mtn. Hill Climb crash May 18
- Gas prices spike ahead of long weekend May 18
- More eyes in the sky May 18
- Body recovered from Ok Lake May 17
- City Hall to ask elected MLAs for cash May 17