Westside shooters elect trial by judge
Jan 31, 2013 / 11:30 am
Two men involved in last summer’s police chase and shootout on Westside Road will not be seeking bail and have asked for a trial in Supreme Court by judge alone.
Michael Edward Ellis and Shawn Adam Wysynski appeared by video from the Kamloops Regional Correctional Centre wearing prison issued red jumpsuits. They could be overheard laughing and whispering to each other during the proceeding, and had to be quieted by the justice of the peace on one occasion.
The two men were told they will not qualify for an early trial date because of the bail decision and may not see a preliminary inquiry until June or July. Both men seemed unfazed by this turn of events.
Their next appearance will be on Feb. 7, and a pretrial conference is expected to be conducted in the meantime.
The third co-accused, Ashley Collins, is still out on bail and did not make an appearance.
All three face charges of attempted murder and multiple weapon offences associated with a criminal organization.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Rutland May Days' information May 18
- Knox Mtn. Hill Climb crash May 18
- Gas prices spike ahead of long weekend May 18
- More eyes in the sky May 18
- Body recovered from Ok Lake May 17
- City Hall to ask elected MLAs for cash May 17
- Cyclist hit on Baron Rd. May 16
- Collision causes gas spill May 16
- Cross-dressing groper on the loose May 16
- Kelowna crime down in first quarter May 15