Westside shooters elect trial by judge
Jan 31, 2013 / 11:30 am
Two men involved in last summer’s police chase and shootout on Westside Road will not be seeking bail and have asked for a trial in Supreme Court by judge alone.
Michael Edward Ellis and Shawn Adam Wysynski appeared by video from the Kamloops Regional Correctional Centre wearing prison issued red jumpsuits. They could be overheard laughing and whispering to each other during the proceeding, and had to be quieted by the justice of the peace on one occasion.
The two men were told they will not qualify for an early trial date because of the bail decision and may not see a preliminary inquiry until June or July. Both men seemed unfazed by this turn of events.
Their next appearance will be on Feb. 7, and a pretrial conference is expected to be conducted in the meantime.
The third co-accused, Ashley Collins, is still out on bail and did not make an appearance.
All three face charges of attempted murder and multiple weapon offences associated with a criminal organization.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library
- Transplant recipients pop in, say thanks Dec 4
- High speed crash into tree Dec 4
- Sudden death in Rutland Dec 4
- Gifts sought for children's X-mas party Dec 4
- Rotary optimistic lights will twinkle Dec 4
- Hero Mountie saves distraught woman Dec 3
- Stuart Park: 'Stay warm my friends' Dec 3
- Mission Creek trees get festive flair Dec 3
- Council: New cop shop long overdue Dec 3
- More delays for Grossmith case Dec 3