Teens arrested in drug raids
Jan 30, 2013 / 5:03 pm
RCMP 'significantly' affected the drug trade in Kelowna for at least a day following a wide-ranging drug sweep in the city last week.
According to police nine people were arrested during the take-downs on Wednesday, Jan. 23.
Cst. Kris Clark, says several different RCMP units conducted a series of investigations into drug trafficking in the Kelowna area.
"Using various evidence-gathering techniques police observed numerous suspected drug transactions," says Clark.
"Nine people were arrested and charged for varying offences under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act. Police seized quantities of heroin, crack cocaine, powder cocaine, methamphetamine, steroids and prescription pills as well as cash and paraphernalia consistent with drug trafficking."
Clark says some of the arrests were made on the streets while others occurred in drug houses around the city.
Most alarming was the arrest of two teens, a 17-year-old boy and 15-year-old girl.
Both Kelowna teens have been charged with Possession for the Purpose of Trafficking.
The boy has also been charged with Trafficking and remains in custody awaiting a court appearance Feb. 5 while the girl is scheduled to appear in court tomorrow (Thursday).
"This is quite disturbing," says Clark who added appropriate agencies will get involved with the two teens.
Other arrested include:
- Madison Fine, 20, of Kelowna is charged with one count of Trafficking in Controlled Substance. She remains in custody and is scheduled to appear in Court on Feb. 5.
- Matthew Wiebe, 34, and Adam Pentony-Woolwoch, 24, of Kelowna are charged with Possession of a Controlled Substance. Wiebe is scheduled to appear in Court on Jan. 31 while Pentony-Woolwoch will appear on Mar. 7.
- Cameron Ford, 46 of Kelowna is charged with Trafficking and Possession of a Controlled Substance. He is scheduled to appear in Court on Feb. 5. A 45-year-old Kelowna man who was arrested with Ford was released without charges.
- Vikeshwar Singh, 27 of Kelowna is charged with Possession for the Purpose of Trafficking. Nathan Rae, 27, of Surrey is charged with Trafficking and Possession for the Purpose of Trafficking. Both are scheduled to appear in Court on Feb. 4.
"Kelowna RCMP Special Enforcement Teams continue to use intelligence-led, research-based techniques to reduce crime in Kelowna as part of their crime reduction strategy," adds Clark.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library
- Budget approval means tax increase Dec 12
- Christmas market, art show and concert Dec 12
- "One Valley, One Water" Dec 12
- Students helping students 4,100km away Dec 12
- Bus light tour - get your tickets Dec 12
- Charged with running over paper carrier Dec 12
- Budget 2014 - day long coverage Dec 12
- Fewer rentals available Dec 12
- Protecting your gifts Dec 12
- Union sends final package to FortisBC Dec 12