Replica weapon looked like the real thing
Jan 29, 2013 / 1:36 pm
A 21-year-old Kelowna man has been charged with Uttering Threats and Assault with a Weapon following a incident in an alley near Richter Street and Wardlaw Avenue 10 days ago.
Apparently the suspect, Jordon Jones, pointed the gun in the alley shortly before 1 p.m. on the afternoon of January 19 and was arrested without incident.
Police say a replica handgun was seized, however, RCMP indicate the handgun was incredibly realistic, even up close.
"One of the officers happened to own the real version of the exact model seized and a comparison between the two shows how easily one could be mistaken for the other, even in ideal conditions," says Cst. Kris Clark.
"Police don't have the luxury of examining a suspect's weapon before engaging them and have to rely on their knowledge, experience and perceptions in order to respond. When faced with the apparent threat of a firearm the results could be disastrous."
Clark says Jones is scheduled to appear again in court February 18.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Bridging the cap to detox Jun 18
- RCMP confirm suspicious death Jun 18
- Council wants say on new Cop Shop Jun 18
- Realtors donate to Gospel Mission Jun 18
- Council toasts new liquor establishment Jun 18
- City to test family alcohol zone Jun 18
- Missing teenager has been found Jun 17
- Attempted murder charges laid Jun 17
- Gas leak capped on Borden Ave. Jun 17
- Wiens trial to resume in July Jun 17