Replica weapon looked like the real thing
Jan 29, 2013 / 1:36 pm
A 21-year-old Kelowna man has been charged with Uttering Threats and Assault with a Weapon following a incident in an alley near Richter Street and Wardlaw Avenue 10 days ago.
Apparently the suspect, Jordon Jones, pointed the gun in the alley shortly before 1 p.m. on the afternoon of January 19 and was arrested without incident.
Police say a replica handgun was seized, however, RCMP indicate the handgun was incredibly realistic, even up close.
"One of the officers happened to own the real version of the exact model seized and a comparison between the two shows how easily one could be mistaken for the other, even in ideal conditions," says Cst. Kris Clark.
"Police don't have the luxury of examining a suspect's weapon before engaging them and have to rely on their knowledge, experience and perceptions in order to respond. When faced with the apparent threat of a firearm the results could be disastrous."
Clark says Jones is scheduled to appear again in court February 18.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library
- Free Wi-Fi Dec 7
- Jail for man who beat his grandfather Dec 7
- Another transit driver assaulted Dec 6
- Paper carrier struck down Dec 6
- Kelowna taxpayers face hike Dec 6
- Tree of Memories honours loved ones Dec 5
- Santa goes hog wild with toy donations Dec 5
- Women's shelter launches text campaign Dec 5
- Neighbourhood crime map Dec 5
- Yacht club build behind schedule Dec 5