A look at the new marina
The foot of Bernard Avenue around the Sails will be a busy place in the coming days, weeks and months.
As phase two of the Bernard Avenue Revitalization Project ramps up, Westcorp is set to begin construction on a new $5M plus downtown marina.
The Alberta based company will construct and operate the new downtown pier, expected to open in time for the summer tourist season.
Westcorp Director of Development, Gail Temple, says they expect to begin removing pilings from the lake the beginning of February with construction slated to begin the end of February.
Detailed development permit drawings submitted to the city Thursday were made public Friday.
The drawings feature day and night views of the gas bar and shelter structures to be located on the pier.
Temple, says the company is pleased to be moving into the construction phase of the project.
She says the buildings featured on the pier will be more upscale and architecturally detailed than typical marina buildings.
"Given the high visibility of the marina's location and the fact that this amenity will function as a water 'gateway' to the downtown core, Westcorp felt strongly that esthetics and quality were extremely important," says Temple.
"We have created what we hope people will feel are beautiful little buildings. Their architecture will be interesting during the day and, during the evening, the buildings will not fade into the darkness but rather they will become elegant 'lanterns' on the waterfront."
Temple says the project is still scheduled for completion in May of this year.
The downtown marina, off Kerry Park, will include:
- A public pier, over 6 metres wide, extending 150 metres out into Okanagan Lake.
- Moorage slips for approximately 68 boats, including 27 for hourly and day-use moorage, 30 for temporary overnight moorage and 11 for rental boat moorage.
- A boat and watercraft rental business and marine fueling station, operated by Eldorado Marina.
- Existing commercial tour boats will be relocated from the foot of Bernard Avenue to a new and improved facility at the foot of Queensway Avenue.
Downtown Marina Drawings - January 25, 2013
Read more Kelowna News
- Housefire in ArmstrongVernon / N. Okanagan - 8:33 pm
- Rally for recovery dayKelowna - 9:18 pm
- Fish festival educates kidsKelowna - 8:32 pm
- Wildfire destroys 10 homesWorld - 12:20 pm
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Tourism Kelowna Central Okanagan
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library