City grants rental developers $500K
Jan 22, 2013 / 5:00 am
The City of Kelowna, through its Rental Housing Grant program, has distributed more than $500,000 to developers of rental housing projects in the city.
Community Planning Manager, Theresa Eichler, told council Monday the $504,601 was divided among four developers and 94 total rental units ($5,368 per unit).
The grants break down as follows:
- 64 units on Brookside Avenue - $365,030
- 16 units on Sutherland Avenue - $85,889
- 9 units on Sylvania Crescent - $48,313
- 1 unit on Pandosy Street - $5,368
Eichler says the biggest deterrent to construction of rental properties is a low return on investment. She says it can take up to 10 years for a property to show a return and then, it is 'only slight.'
She says developers have asked the city to defer Development Cost Charges (DDC's) as an incentive for building rental properties.
"The city cannot defer DDC's by the legislation we work under so the grants were thought of as a way to try and get close to that without actually doing something we can't do," Eichler told council.
"The maximum amount of any grant cannot exceed the amount of the DCC. If we have enough money in a given year it could come to that level."
In 2012, Eichler says only one grant application was brought forward for six units. In that case she says the full amount of the DDC's were covered.
Eichler says because of the financing involved, rental housing is probably the key gap in the housing supply nationwide.
About 30 per cent (14,000) of all homes in Kelowna are rented.
She says renting is expected to increase in popularity with some forecasting that a 45 per cent rental rate is a healthy supply reflecting a healthy economy and a good labour force base.
Over the past 10 years the rental vacancy rate was about 1.7 per cent, however, that increased slightly a year ago with new supplies coming on stream.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Rutland May Days' information May 18
- Knox Mtn. Hill Climb crash May 18
- Gas prices spike ahead of long weekend May 18
- More eyes in the sky May 18
- Body recovered from Ok Lake May 17
- City Hall to ask elected MLAs for cash May 17
- Cyclist hit on Baron Rd. May 16
- Collision causes gas spill May 16
- Cross-dressing groper on the loose May 16
- Kelowna crime down in first quarter May 15