Federal funds assist Y renovations
Jan 16, 2013 / 5:00 am
The Kelowna Family Y will undergo some major renovations later this year.
The way for the renovations was paved after the facility received funding under the federal government's Community Infrastructure Improvement Fund (CIIF).
Kelowna-Lake Country MP Ron Cannan made the announcement Tuesday morning.
“I am very happy that Kelowna is benefiting from the Community Infrastructure Improvement Fund,” says Cannan.
“With today’s investment, we are improving a local facility and boosting economic activity in the area.”
With over $250,000 in federal funding, the City of Kelowna will provide an additional $600,000 to restore the facility’s structure and make upgrades to the change rooms.
This will help create jobs in the region, while improving the overall safety of the building.
We are pleased to partner with the Federal Government on this project,” says Mayor Walter Gray.
“As we work to be the best mid-sized city in North America, investing in our facilities infrastructure helps to ensure that our community has access to recreational opportunities which allow them to get active and stay active.”
The improvements at the Kelowna Family Y are scheduled to take place over four months beginning this spring; however, the facility will remain open to members and users during the upgrade.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library
- Students helping students 4,100km away Dec 12
- Bus light tour - get your tickets Dec 12
- Charged with running over paper carrier Dec 12
- Budget 2014 - day long coverage Dec 12
- Fewer rentals available Dec 12
- Protecting your gifts Dec 12
- Union sends final package to FortisBC Dec 12
- Bait sleds hidden around the interior Dec 11
- Christmas display going up at Kerry Park Dec 11
- Fire destroys mobile home Dec 11