Hwy 5 closure a headache for buses
Jan 9, 2013 / 2:30 pm
Ben Ogigon is taking the bus because he is moving from Calgary to Vancouver.
"I didn't expect delays this long," he said.
"I really hope it opens up soon."
Harley McDonald from Calgary was stuck in the Kelowna terminal for the past three hours.
"This has been the worst trip I’ve ever been on," he said.
"it’s winter though, what can you expect?”
Hales Stranack, from Comox Valley is travelling to Langley from Calgary.
“I should have flown,” he said.
Karen Ferguson who is travelling from Airdrie, Alberta to Langley to babysit her four grandchildren.
“I was told it would only be a 40 minute wait, but that was two hours ago," she said.
"I guess we’re stuck here until the Coquihalla opens.”
The recent bad weather has affected more than just those travelling by air.
The closure of Highway 5 has caused multiple delays and at least three Greyhound buses have been forced to use Hwy 3 as an alternate route.
The 8:00, 8:45 and 11:00 buses from Kelowna to Vancouver were delayed and eventually rerouted to Hwy 3 due to bad weather.
Those passengers whose commutes were cancelled were offered food vouchers and those forced to spend the night received vouchers for a nights stay at a local hotel.
Highway 5 reopened after 1 p.m.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library
- Harvey rollover shuts down traffic at Ellis Dec 10
- Hockey Night in Canada's new tune? Dec 10
- Budget will cost you additional $45 Dec 10
- Cemetery eyes cost of living increases Dec 10
- Improvements to Centennial Hall, park Dec 10
- All aboard the Santa Sleigh Bus Dec 9
- FortisBC offers Union binding arbitration Dec 9
- Glenmore food drive tonight Dec 9
- Garage fire quickly knocked down Dec 9
- Thrift store celebrates 10 years strong Dec 9