Snowboarder dies of injuries
Jan 9, 2013 / 2:30 pm
A day on Big White turned to tragedy for a man from Winnipeg Tuesday afternoon. The mountain employee died after a snowboarding accident on the hill.
The 22-year-old male, an employee of Snowshoe Sams, was snowboarding with friends in an area called Sapphire Glades which is below the Falcon Chair. The group got separated at approximately 11:30 a.m., later the male was found head-first in a gully/empty creek bed.
He was located by other patrons at approximately 2:30 p.m., ski patrol was called and attended the scene. They initiated life-saving protocols including using a defibrillator. They moved the patient as soon as possible about 200 metres out onto Village Way where they were met by a doctor.
The doctor initiated drug protocols and the group worked on the patient while transporting to the Westridge parking lot where they were met by BC Ambulance.
The two members of the ski patrol, the doctor, and a paramedic worked on the patient while he was being transported to Kelowna General Hospital. He later succumbed to his injuries.
In a statement Big White says they strongly encourage people to ski and board with partners/buddies and if you are going to go off the groomed runs carry a whistle.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library
- Harvey rollover shuts down traffic at Ellis Dec 10
- Hockey Night in Canada's new tune? Dec 10
- Budget will cost you additional $45 Dec 10
- Cemetery eyes cost of living increases Dec 10
- Improvements to Centennial Hall, park Dec 10
- All aboard the Santa Sleigh Bus Dec 9
- FortisBC offers Union binding arbitration Dec 9
- Glenmore food drive tonight Dec 9
- Garage fire quickly knocked down Dec 9
- Thrift store celebrates 10 years strong Dec 9