Record haul fills Sally Ann hampers
Jan 2, 2013 / 11:55 am
Those words best describe the outpouring of generosity toward the Annual Santa Sleigh Bus campaign for the Salvation Army Christmas Fund.
Through the assistance of people throughout the Central Okanagan, a record $47,147 in cash and donations were received over the holiday season.
The donations far exceeded the 2011 total of $34,483.
The 2012 breakdown includes:
- Cash - $6,417
- 724 toys - $14,480
- 10,500 pounds of food - $26,250
- TOTAL - $47,147
About 1,000 children and families throughout the Central Okanagan had their Christmas made a little brighter with Christmas meals and presents.
Over the 10 years the Santa Sleigh Bus has been operating, $208,950 has been raised for the Salvation Army.
The program is run with the support of Kelowna Regional Transit, Castanet.net, Power-104, Q-103 and Costco.
Each year, the Santa Sleigh Bus travels to several schools and business throughout the Central Okanagan prior to Christmas and leads a cavalcade of buses on the annual Parade of Lights tour.
Thanks to everyone who came to Castanet to donate food and cash. We will see you again next year.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library
- Budget 2014 - day long coverage Dec 12
- Protecting your gifts Dec 12
- Union sends final package to FortisBC Dec 12
- Bait sleds hidden around the interior Dec 11
- Christmas display going up at Kerry Park Dec 11
- Fire destroys mobile home Dec 11
- Prolific offender in custody Dec 11
- Harvey rollover shuts down traffic at Ellis Dec 10
- Hockey Night in Canada's new tune? Dec 10
- Budget will cost you additional $45 Dec 10