Record haul fills Sally Ann hampers
Jan 2, 2013 / 11:55 am
Those words best describe the outpouring of generosity toward the Annual Santa Sleigh Bus campaign for the Salvation Army Christmas Fund.
Through the assistance of people throughout the Central Okanagan, a record $47,147 in cash and donations were received over the holiday season.
The donations far exceeded the 2011 total of $34,483.
The 2012 breakdown includes:
- Cash - $6,417
- 724 toys - $14,480
- 10,500 pounds of food - $26,250
- TOTAL - $47,147
About 1,000 children and families throughout the Central Okanagan had their Christmas made a little brighter with Christmas meals and presents.
Over the 10 years the Santa Sleigh Bus has been operating, $208,950 has been raised for the Salvation Army.
The program is run with the support of Kelowna Regional Transit, Castanet.net, Power-104, Q-103 and Costco.
Each year, the Santa Sleigh Bus travels to several schools and business throughout the Central Okanagan prior to Christmas and leads a cavalcade of buses on the annual Parade of Lights tour.
Thanks to everyone who came to Castanet to donate food and cash. We will see you again next year.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Rutland May Days' information May 18
- Knox Mtn. Hill Climb crash May 18
- Gas prices spike ahead of long weekend May 18
- More eyes in the sky May 18
- Body recovered from Ok Lake May 17
- City Hall to ask elected MLAs for cash May 17
- Cyclist hit on Baron Rd. May 16
- Collision causes gas spill May 16
- Cross-dressing groper on the loose May 16
- Kelowna crime down in first quarter May 15