Homeless after fire
Dec 25, 2012 / 7:35 pm
A number of people are now homeless after a fire went from the garage to their house on Tuesday.
Just before 5 p.m. the Kelowna Fire Department responded to smoke coming from the garage at a residence in the 600 Block of Bonjou Rd .
Upon arrival the first Engine crew Captain reported flames and smoke coming from the garage and extending up the front of the house.
Response was with a command vehicle, three engines, a rescue truck, and a total of 15 firefighters.
The first arriving firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the majority of the fire but crews are still on the scene to check for any possible extension to other areas of the residence. A car parked in front of the garage was also heavily damaged.
All people in the house were able to get out safely and it appears the two family cats were also able to get out of the house before it filled with smoke.
Altogether 8 people are in care of ESS for the night and no one was injured.
Damage estimate is aprox. $100,000 and cause has not been determined.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Fat Cats looking for cool cats May 23
- Victor Walk impacts Kelowna May 23
- Early morning fire May 23
- Marina moving along May 22
- Kelowna closes all sportfields May 22
- Big Red rolls through Kelowna May 22
- Greenway underpasses closed May 22
- Former Miss Kelowna earns gold May 22
- New middle school for Upper Mission May 22
- Victim services honour BC Liquor Stores May 22