Update: Fire damages Rutland duplex
Dec 18, 2012 / 8:59 am
An early morning blaze has damaged a duplex in the 500 block of Bolotzky Court in Rutland.
According to Platoon Captain Henry Roelofs, heavy black smoke was seen coming from the right rear of the two storey duplex and smoke and flames were coming from the doorway into the building from the carport when crews arrived just after 7 a.m.
Roelofs says the initial attack was through the carport doorway where firefighters were faced with extreme heat and zero visibility. They were quickly able to locate and extinguish the majority of the fire and extinguished the remainder through a window at the rear of the building.
A total of 12 residents lived in the building and all were able to make their way outside safely and have been supplied temporary shelter by Emergency Social Services.
Two pet cats were not so lucky and perished.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library
- Big White sweater ball Dec 9
- Christmas display going up at Kerry Park Dec 9
- Castanet's Week in Review Dec 8
- Kelowna teens 'write for rights' Dec 8
- Paper carrier waits for crucial surgery Dec 8
- Cost of dying going up Dec 8
- Paper carrier sent to VGH Dec 7
- Roses for women's awareness Dec 7
- Lights aglow on Big White Dec 7
- Creating community Dec 7