Schooled in a school zone
Dec 13, 2012 / 1:47 pm
A Kelowna RCMP member targeted school zones this week with astounding results.
Over the course of just a few hours yesterday, police found a number of speeding infractions in school zones near Casorso Elementary School despite only targeting vehicles travelling in excess of 50 km/h. The number of violations is quite high, especially considering children are at risk.
On December 3, over a period of 90 minutes, 5 drivers were stopped for speeding in a school zone, 1 for no insurance, 1 for speeding within a municipality, and 1 for a driver's licence infraction.
December 11 yielded similar results in the same 90 minute time frame with 5 drivers stopped for speeding in a school zone and 1 for another infraction.
In three hours on December 12, 15 drivers were stopped for speeding in a school zone, 1 driver for using an electronic device, 1 vehicle had a defect , and 1 driver was not wearing a seatbelt. Four of those contacts were with commercial vehicles.
RCMP want to remind drivers that School zones are in effect from 8 am to 5 p.m. every school day.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library
- Budget approval means tax increase Dec 12
- Christmas market, art show and concert Dec 12
- "One Valley, One Water" Dec 12
- Students helping students 4,100km away Dec 12
- Bus light tour - get your tickets Dec 12
- Charged with running over paper carrier Dec 12
- Budget 2014 - day long coverage Dec 12
- Fewer rentals available Dec 12
- Protecting your gifts Dec 12
- Union sends final package to FortisBC Dec 12