Sexual assault: Warning for women
Dec 6, 2012 / 10:20 am
RCMP are warning women to be cautious after a teenage girl was sexually assaulted Wednesday night in Rutland.
Police say the 16-year-old girl was waiting for a friend in the 200 block of Hollywood Road North about 8:40 Wednesday night when she was approached by an unknown man.
"He spoke with her briefly before offering his hand in greeting," says Cst. Kris Clark.
"When she reached out to shake his hand, he pulled her hand down to touch his genitals. The girl fled from the man who may have followed her a short distance. She escaped otherwise unharmed."
Clark says the suspect is described as:
- Dark skin, possibly Hispanic
- 5'5" to 5'7"
- 180 lbs
- 50-55 years of age
- Short black hair
- Spoke with broken English, possibly a Spanish accent
- Wearing a black jacket with a white stripe on the back
- Wore keys on his waistline
Clark says women should adopt the buddy system and should not walk alone.
Anyone with information regarding this incident are asked to call Kelowna RCMP at 250-762-3300 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Reaction mixed to Gordon truck route May 24
- A 'purrfect' time to adopt May 24
- Water levels lower on Mission Creek May 24
- Brace yourself for higher gas prices May 24
- Fat Cats looking for cool cats May 23
- Victor Walk impacts Kelowna May 23
- Dangerous Dog Act challenged May 23
- Early morning fire May 23
- Marina moving along May 22
- Kelowna closes all sportfields May 22