Two emergency landings at YLW
Nov 26, 2012 / 9:15 am
A pair of incidents yesterday (Sunday) at the Kelowna International Airport put emergency crews on high alert.
Shortly after 6 p.m., an Air Canada Jazz DH8 experienced problems and was forced to make an emergency landing.
“We had an aircraft that had departed Penticton and had requested an emergency landing at Kelowna for a suspected mechanical issue,” says Jenelle Hynes, marketing and media relations manager at YLW.
“And then when the aircraft did land, there was some hydraulic fluid that did leak out of the aircraft onto the runway.”
Shortly thereafter, the pilot of a Cessna radioed the tower to say they may have a mechanical issue too.
“They were either from Kelowna or coming into Kelowna and had just given the tower a heads up and our crews were already on stand-by so we had our aircraft rescue firefighters along with the Kelowna Fire Department,” says Hynes.
Both planes landed safely with the only other issue being some commercial flights that were delayed in the process.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Reaction mixed to Gordon truck route May 24
- A 'purrfect' time to adopt May 24
- Water levels lower on Mission Creek May 24
- Brace yourself for higher gas prices May 24
- Fat Cats looking for cool cats May 23
- Victor Walk impacts Kelowna May 23
- Dangerous Dog Act challenged May 23
- Early morning fire May 23
- Marina moving along May 22
- Kelowna closes all sportfields May 22