Gas leak shuts down construction
Nov 13, 2012 / 3:04 pm
Construction came to a sudden halt around 2 p.m. this afternoon at 1854 Kirschner Road when a gas line was broken.
Captain Eric Simpson of the Kelowna Fire Department says it appears that a grader hit a gas line on the back of the building.
“They didn’t know if it was there and they happened to rip off what looks like a 2-inch main,” says Simpson.
“So right now we just have the gas coming out of the main and we’re waiting for the gas company to show up.”
Simpson proceeded to do a walk-through of the area and says most of the businesses have shut down.
“I told the owners that if they smell gas coming to report it immediately, but right now nobody is in danger and it seems to be dissipating upwards and not going too much into the buildings at this time.”
Construction will not resume until the gas is completely shut off and workers will not be allowed into the job site.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library
- Tree of Memories honours loved ones Dec 5
- Santa goes hog wild with toy donations Dec 5
- Women's shelter launches text campaign Dec 5
- Neighbourhood crime map Dec 5
- Yacht club build behind schedule Dec 5
- New services to 'Bridge' gap for addicts Dec 5
- Powder chair now open at Big White Dec 5
- Holiday cheer stocks food bank shelves Dec 5
- Where will medical marijuana be grown? Dec 5
- Happy Hanukkah! Dec 5