Suspicious fire in vacant house
Nov 10, 2012 / 9:46 am
The Kelowna Fire Department is calling an early morning blaze on Hein Road suspicious.
The fire began just before 3 a.m. at 405 Hein Road when someone reported seeing smoke in the area.
Upon arrival, crews observed smoke coming from the basement area and while attacking the fire, initial crews noticed some suspicious materials.
Fire crews were then pulled out of the residence until FortisBC was able to disconnect power to the house.
Platoon Captain Tim Light, of the Kelowna Fire Department, says the suspicious materials were low-hanging electrical wires, consistent with grow-ops, although no plants were found inside the house.
Once power was disconnected, fire crews were able to extinguish the blaze.
There is no word on the amount of damage, but the house was not insured by the owner.
Fire investigators are on scene this morning.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library
- Bus light tour - get your tickets Dec 12
- Budget 2014 - day long coverage Dec 12
- Protecting your gifts Dec 12
- Union sends final package to FortisBC Dec 12
- Bait sleds hidden around the interior Dec 11
- Christmas display going up at Kerry Park Dec 11
- Fire destroys mobile home Dec 11
- Prolific offender in custody Dec 11
- Harvey rollover shuts down traffic at Ellis Dec 10
- Hockey Night in Canada's new tune? Dec 10