Suspicious fire in vacant house
Nov 10, 2012 / 9:46 am
The Kelowna Fire Department is calling an early morning blaze on Hein Road suspicious.
The fire began just before 3 a.m. at 405 Hein Road when someone reported seeing smoke in the area.
Upon arrival, crews observed smoke coming from the basement area and while attacking the fire, initial crews noticed some suspicious materials.
Fire crews were then pulled out of the residence until FortisBC was able to disconnect power to the house.
Platoon Captain Tim Light, of the Kelowna Fire Department, says the suspicious materials were low-hanging electrical wires, consistent with grow-ops, although no plants were found inside the house.
Once power was disconnected, fire crews were able to extinguish the blaze.
There is no word on the amount of damage, but the house was not insured by the owner.
Fire investigators are on scene this morning.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Fat Cats looking for cool cats May 23
- Victor Walk impacts Kelowna May 23
- Early morning fire May 23
- Marina moving along May 22
- Kelowna closes all sportfields May 22
- Big Red rolls through Kelowna May 22
- Greenway underpasses closed May 22
- Former Miss Kelowna earns gold May 22
- New middle school for Upper Mission May 22
- Victim services honour BC Liquor Stores May 22