Suspicious fire in vacant house
Nov 10, 2012 / 9:46 am
The Kelowna Fire Department is calling an early morning blaze on Hein Road suspicious.
The fire began just before 3 a.m. at 405 Hein Road when someone reported seeing smoke in the area.
Upon arrival, crews observed smoke coming from the basement area and while attacking the fire, initial crews noticed some suspicious materials.
Fire crews were then pulled out of the residence until FortisBC was able to disconnect power to the house.
Platoon Captain Tim Light, of the Kelowna Fire Department, says the suspicious materials were low-hanging electrical wires, consistent with grow-ops, although no plants were found inside the house.
Once power was disconnected, fire crews were able to extinguish the blaze.
There is no word on the amount of damage, but the house was not insured by the owner.
Fire investigators are on scene this morning.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Glenmore crash May 20
- Downtown stabbing mars May long May 20
- Grad party rollover May 20
- Annual regatta is largest in BC Interior May 19
- Rutland May Day Parade video May 19
- Kasugai Gardens open into the evening May 19
- The Week in Review May 19
- Rutland May Days' information May 18
- Knox Mtn. Hill Climb crash May 18
- Gas prices spike ahead of long weekend May 18