Neighbour extinguishes fire
Nov 6, 2012 / 5:24 am
Crews were called to an early morning fire Tuesday.
Just after 1 a.m. the Kelowna Fire Department received a 911 call reporting a fire on the front deck of a four plex on Hein Rd.
The occupants of the unit were woken up by the noise and flames of the fire and attempted to extinguish the fire using a fire extinguisher. A male occupant from the unit opened the front door, was overcome with smoke but he was able to exit the unit through the back door.
A neighbor grabbed the garden hose and was able to knock down the flames prior to the fire departments arrival.
The first Engine Company arrived on scene and reported that there was a chair on fire on the front deck and someone was using a garden hose to extinguish the fire.
The fire crews checked for hot spots and then cleared the smoke from the unit using positive pressure ventilation. The fire was contained to the front deck of the home.
Once smoke was cleared from inside the unit, occupants were allow back in. BC Ambulance checked the male occupant for smoke inhalation and was released on scene.
The cause is unknown at this time; however Fire Investigators will be on scene in the morning.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Fat Cats looking for cool cats May 23
- Victor Walk impacts Kelowna May 23
- Early morning fire May 23
- Marina moving along May 22
- Kelowna closes all sportfields May 22
- Big Red rolls through Kelowna May 22
- Greenway underpasses closed May 22
- Former Miss Kelowna earns gold May 22
- New middle school for Upper Mission May 22
- Victim services honour BC Liquor Stores May 22