Street closures for Remembrance Day
Nov 5, 2012 / 11:34 am
Roads in downtown Kelowna and Rutland will be temporarily closed for Remembrance Day parades on Sunday, Nov. 11 between 10:15 a.m. and 12 p.m.
The Royal Canadian Legion Parade downtown will mean the closure of:
- Mill Street from Queensway Avenue to Bernard Avenue
- Bernard Avenue from Water Street to Abbott Street
- Abbott Street from Bernard Avenue to Lawrence Avenue
- Lawrence Avenue from Abbott Street to Ellis Street
- Ellis Street from Bernard Avenue to Lawrence Avenue
The closures on Mill Street, Bernard Avenue and Abbott Street will be in effect from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. as veterans march to the Cenotaph in Veendam Gardens in City Park.
Following the ceremonies, the parade will proceed up Lawrence Avenue to Ellis Street between 11:30 a.m. and 12 p.m.
The intersection of Lawrence and Pandosy will be closed to traffic during this time with the exception of transit buses.
Parking will be prohibited along all these routes.
The Army, Navy, Air Force Veterans Parade in Rutland will involve the closure of:
- Dougall Road North and South, from McIntosh Road to Gray Road
- Gray Road, from Dougall Road South to Pemberton Road
- Pemberton Road, from Gray Road to Lions Park.
Ceremonies will take place at the Cenotaph in Rutland Lions Park. Expect minor delays as veterans cross at Highway 33 and Dougall Road before and after the ceremony in Lions Park.
RCMP will provide traffic control for both parades.
Kelowna Regional Transit employees will also pay their respects with one minute of silence at 11 a.m. All transit drivers will ensure their buses are safely pulled over to the curb and parked during this period.
The public is reminded City Hall will be closed on Monday, Nov. 12 in remembrance.
The Glenmore Landfill will be open regular hours, 7:30 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. and the Parkinson Recreation Centre will be open 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 11 and 6 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 12.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Rainfall warning in effect Jun 19
- 900 days on the water Jun 19
- Malls head list of corporate taxpayers Jun 19
- Mayor defends $800K spiffy biffy Jun 18
- Hells Angels member gets 26 months Jun 18
- Bridging the gap to detox Jun 18
- RCMP confirm suspicious death Jun 18
- Council wants say on new Cop Shop Jun 18
- Realtors donate to Gospel Mission Jun 18
- Council toasts new liquor establishment Jun 18