Deepak Binning dinner
Oct 23, 2012 / 2:25 pm
As the Deepak Binning foundation was celebrating its 12th annual fundraising dinner Saturday night, it received an unexpected boost.
Kelowna philanthropist and Kelowna’s former man of the year, Thomas Budd, made an unexpected donation to one of the charities the foundation supports.
Budd announced that he would like to give the East Meets West Orphans Foundation a total $35,000 over three years. The money will go towards supporting a crèche for children of slum dwellers and for life saving surgeries for abandoned children in Kolkata, West Bengal India.
“We will all be eternally grateful for this amazingly generous donation,” said organizer Mohini Singh. “A little bit of money goes a long way in India."
Over 300 people attended the dinner event.
The Deepak Binning Foundation has pledged to give:
- UBC-O $30,000, over three years, towards medical scholarships, to students attending the new medical school
- $5,000 to the Sindi Ahluwalia Hawkins cancer centre
- $5,000 to the Kelowna-based East Meets West Orphans Foundation.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Reaction mixed to Gordon truck route May 24
- A 'purrfect' time to adopt May 24
- Water levels lower on Mission Creek May 24
- Brace yourself for higher gas prices May 24
- Fat Cats looking for cool cats May 23
- Victor Walk impacts Kelowna May 23
- Dangerous Dog Act challenged May 23
- Early morning fire May 23
- Marina moving along May 22
- Kelowna closes all sportfields May 22