Adventures of Lucky the deer
Oct 10, 2012 / 7:57 am
The Adventures of Lucky the deer
A wild, furry creature has been visiting some Knox Mountain residents so regularly, they have named him.
Lucky, a five-year-old deer, is not that difficult to identify. For one, he is missing one of his antlers. But he is also a regular visitor of residents of Magic Estates, sometimes like clockwork.
“If he didn’t have bad luck, he wouldn’t have any luck at all,” says resident Erwin Sommerfeld of how he and his neighbours came up with the deer’s name. “He’s been lucky to survive.”
“Normally, they don’t last that long, because some hunter gets them, but because he is in the (Knox Mountain) park here, he is kind of protected.”
The visits have become so frequent—and interesting—Sommerfeld has started to catalogue the encounters.
“This is our delinquent pet deer Lucky's third episode:
- The first episode was in 2009; he showed up with a hammock on his antlers that cost him his right antler for two years.
- The second episode was in 2010, when he showed up with a burlap bag on his only antler.
- The third episode, 2012, you can see in the attached photo with an orchard netting on his antlers."
Sommerfeld figures Lucky lost his first antler in a struggle with a wrought-iron fence. “He must have struggled and pulled it right out of his head.”
Since that unfortunate incident, Lucky has grown a one-point antler on the right side.
Ed. note: Let's hope Lucky starts to live up to his name.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Fat Cats looking for cool cats May 23
- Victor Walk impacts Kelowna May 23
- Early morning fire May 23
- Marina moving along May 22
- Kelowna closes all sportfields May 22
- Big Red rolls through Kelowna May 22
- Greenway underpasses closed May 22
- Former Miss Kelowna earns gold May 22
- New middle school for Upper Mission May 22
- Victim services honour BC Liquor Stores May 22