Runner nabbed at downtown parkade
Oct 9, 2012 / 8:48 am
RCMP cordoned off streets around the Chapman Parkade Tuesday morning in search of a man who tried to evade police following a traffic stop.
Several officers and a police service dog took part in the search inside and out of the parkade shortly before 8:30 a.m.
Witnesses say the man came out of the Lawrence Avenue entrance once or twice before finally walking down the street toward Pandosy.
Officers spotted the man and ordered the suspect to the ground where he was quickly descended upon by several officers.
Cpl. Bill Parmar says the chase began following a traffic stop in the downtown area.
"The gentleman gave a false name to the member and ran. We did patrols for the individual, and a short time later, we got a call for a suspicious male in the Chapman Parkade," says Parmar.
"We set up containment and the male came running out."
Parmar says it appears the man may be on parole.
"It looks like he may be in violation of his parole and that's why he was eluding police."
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Early morning fire May 23
- Marina moving along May 22
- Kelowna closes all sportfields May 22
- Big Red rolls through Kelowna May 22
- Greenway underpasses closed May 22
- Former Miss Kelowna earns gold May 22
- New middle school for Upper Mission May 22
- Victim services honour BC Liquor Stores May 22
- Power back on in East Kelowna May 21
- Tuesday crash sends 4 to hospital May 21