McKinley Road widening set to begin
Oct 1, 2012 / 1:00 pm
Motorists travelling along McKinley Road in Glenmore this month can expect delays as crews begin to widen the road.
Starting Oct. 3, traffic on McKinley Road adjacent to the reservoir will experience intermittent road closures until mid-October.
“Small, controlled rock blasting will take place during these times to widen the road and provide safety upgrades,” the City of Kelowna said in a travel advisory Monday. Road closures will be in effect twice daily, Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
The $458,000 project will increase the curve from a 40-metre radius to 60, straighten and add a larger curve at the start of the reservoir side, and widen travel lanes to 3.5 metres, with a one-metre shoulder. The city will also add concrete barriers on the reservoir side of the road as part of its safety upgrades.
The city awarded the project to OK Excavating, administrated by Stantec.
The project is scheduled for completion at the end of November.
Motorists can visit the city's road report for the most up-to-date road construction and potential delays.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Clark rescinds raises; Dix claims victory Jun 19
- Rainfall warning in effect Jun 19
- 900 days on the water Jun 19
- Malls head list of corporate taxpayers Jun 19
- Mayor defends $800K spiffy biffy Jun 18
- Hells Angels member gets 26 months Jun 18
- Bridging the gap to detox Jun 18
- RCMP confirm suspicious death Jun 18
- Council wants say on new Cop Shop Jun 18
- Realtors donate to Gospel Mission Jun 18