Chopper drops in on golf course
Sep 22, 2012 / 12:42 pm
Video contributed: Greg Vinton
There was an interesting sight for golfers at the Black Mountain Golf Course on Friday afternoon.
With a grass fire burning in the Joe Rich area, a helicopter from the Ministry of Forests used water from the hazard near the fifth hole to attack the fire.
Greg Vinton is a sales rep for Melcor Developments and he was at Melcor's housing development at the golf course when the helicopter first moved in.
"He just came out of nowhere. We had a bunch of people just standing there watching and the golfers were around him too," says Vinton.
"There's three holes that surround that pond. He just came flying in, dropped down and looped around the mountain and back again. We we're joking they (fire crews) might have been able to find a few Pro-V1s."
Colleen Edstrom was on the course and she says its was a pretty cool sight when the helicopter came in and began drawing water from the pond.
She took time out from her round to take a few pictures as it came in.
The fire was 100 percent by early Friday evening, but there's no official word on whether or not the pond is now less of a hazard than it was before the fire started.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- RCMP look for man with a gun Jun 19
- Clark rescinds raises; Dix claims victory Jun 19
- Rainfall warning in effect Jun 19
- 900 days on the water Jun 19
- Malls head list of corporate taxpayers Jun 19
- Mayor defends $800K spiffy biffy Jun 18
- Hells Angels member gets 26 months Jun 18
- Bridging the gap to detox Jun 18
- RCMP confirm suspicious death Jun 18
- Council wants say on new Cop Shop Jun 18