Scam artist 'burns' Kelowna residents
Sep 22, 2012 / 11:02 am
Another scammer is trying to separate you from your hard earned money again.
This time, an unknown man is using the BC Professional Fire Fighters’ Burn Fund (BCPFF) as part of his scam.
The City of Kelowna announced that officials from the Burn Fund recently learned there is a false solicitation for funds underway that is targeting the Kelowna area.
The report says residents have received phone calls from a man calling himself ‘Mr. McGregor’ who claims to be from the Greater Victoria area.
“We would like to advise all members of the public that the BC Professional Fire Fighters’ Burn Fund doesn’t participate in any type of funds solicitation through phone calls,” says Michael Hurley, President of the BCPFF Burn Fund.
“Our charity is very well known throughout our province and it is extremely unfortunate that an individual would take advantage of (residents) of our province and our charity for their own self gain. We highly encourage people to contact our office if they have any questions or concerns.”
The BC Professional Fire Fighters’ Burn Fund would like to remind members of the public that the best way to donate to the charity is by calling their office at 604-436-5617 or by visiting their website.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Mayor defends $800K spiffy biffy Jun 18
- Hells Angels member gets 26 months Jun 18
- Bridging the gap to detox Jun 18
- RCMP confirm suspicious death Jun 18
- Council wants say on new Cop Shop Jun 18
- Realtors donate to Gospel Mission Jun 18
- Council toasts new liquor establishment Jun 18
- City to test family alcohol zone Jun 18
- Missing teenager has been found Jun 17
- Attempted murder charges laid Jun 17