Letnick joins cabinet
Sep 5, 2012 / 10:57 am
Kelowna-Lake Country MLA, Norm Letnick was a beneficiary of a series of recent Liberal cabinet resignations.
Letnick, in his first term as MLA, was handed the prestigious Agriculture portfolio during a cabinet reshuffle announced Wednesday morning by Premier Christy Clark.
The reshuffle was made necessary after several key cabinet ministers, including Kevin Falcon, George Abbott, and Mary McNeil announced they would not run in next year's election and would step away from their cabinet post.
Along with Letnick, Central Okanagan MLAs Steve Thomson (Kelowna Mission) and Ben Stewart (Westside-Kelowna) were also appointed to cabinet.
Thomson retains Forests, Lands and Natural Resources while Stewart was named Minister of Citizens' Services and Open Government.
Mike de Jong replaces Falcon in Finance while Don McRae takes over from Abbott as the new Education Minister.
Castanet's Jen Zielinski talked with Letnick last Thursday about his chance for a cabinet post.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Greenway underpasses closed May 22
- Former Miss Kelowna earns gold May 22
- New middle school for Upper Mission May 22
- Victim services honour BC Liquor Stores May 22
- Power back on in East Kelowna May 21
- Tuesday crash sends 4 to hospital May 21
- Quiet start to the summer season May 21
- Stabbing arrest May 21
- Last day to register for PlayOn! Kelowna May 21
- Thunderstorm watch in effect May 21