Trial set for crash that killed a child
Aug 28, 2012 / 11:47 am
The case of a Kelowna man who killed a six-year-old boy and injured his mother while allegedly intoxicated, was back in court Tuesday.
Cody Richard Wengenmayr, 21, was represented by his attorney during a pre-trial conference before trial judge, Mr. Justice Christopher Grauer.
Crown prosecutor, Dave Ruse, appeared by phone.
Wengenmayr faces a total of six charges of impaired driving causing death and injury, causing an accident resulting in death and injury and dangerous driving causing death and injury.
The boy's 36-year-old mother suffered a broken leg in the crash.
The incident occurred shortly before 10:30 on the evening of Monday, August 30, 2010 when the mother and her son were crossing Harvey Avenue outside of a marked crosswalk from Orchard Park toward the Ramada Hotel.
During the pre-conference trial, Ruse told Mr. Justice Grauer he will call one expert who will testify Wengenmayr had a blood/alcohol level over the legal limit and another expert who will testify he was travelling between 58km/h and 62km/h at the time of the crash.
The trial by judge alone is scheduled for eight days beginning September 17.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Annual regatta is largest in BC Interior May 19
- Rutland May Day Parade video May 19
- Kasugai Gardens open into the evening May 19
- The Week in Review May 19
- Rutland May Days' information May 18
- Knox Mtn. Hill Climb crash May 18
- Gas prices spike ahead of long weekend May 18
- More eyes in the sky May 18
- Body recovered from Ok Lake May 17
- City Hall to ask elected MLAs for cash May 17