Young girl steps up to help the SPCA
Aug 18, 2012 / 10:58 am
12:30 p.m. update: We are happy to report that Melanie Gibbs raised $122 for the SPCA. Her mom says people were very generous. Gibbs might try it again next weekend, but this time she might set up at Myra Canyon. The younger Gibbs hopes it might inspire other kids to set their own goals and help the animals.
A little juice and a snack is always good when you go on a hike; and 10-year-old Melanie Gibbs is ready to help those who need a little pick-up, with her table full of treats.
Gibbs is working hard this morning raising donations for the SPCA. She has a cookie and lemonade stand set up at the Mission Creek Scenic Canyon trailhead. Her stand will be open until about 12:30 p.m.
She hopes generous hikers and animal lovers will help her reach her goal of raising $65 to help animals in need.
What could be better than an ice cold glass of lemonade and a cookie after a morning hike? It's all by donation. As of 10:45 she was half way to her goal. How much for a cookie and a snack? It's all by donation.
This is her second annual fundraiser for the animals.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Reaction mixed to Gordon truck route May 24
- A 'purrfect' time to adopt May 24
- Water levels lower on Mission Creek May 24
- Brace yourself for higher gas prices May 24
- Fat Cats looking for cool cats May 23
- Victor Walk impacts Kelowna May 23
- Dangerous Dog Act challenged May 23
- Early morning fire May 23
- Marina moving along May 22
- Kelowna closes all sportfields May 22