Cigarette to blame for Glenmore fire
Aug 1, 2012 / 10:35 am
Fire officials have determined a carelessly discarded cigarette caused the fire that displaced 65 residents at the Highlands Retirement Residence in Glenmore Monday morning.
Deputy Fire Chief, Thomas Doherty says investigators have concluded the fire started after smoking material was discarded in a planter at the rear of the complex adjacent to unit 59.
"An accumulation of combustible material in the immediate area of the fire added to the fuel load which caused the fire to quickly spread throughout the structure," says Doherty.
He says it is not suspicious.
Monday's fire forced evacuation of all 65 residents of the senior's care home as well as four staff members.
Still no word when residents will be able to return home.
In the meantime, they are in the care of Emergency Support Services.
Five residents were treated for smoke inhalation.
Two were taken to hospital for additional treatment.
"The Kelowna Fire Department would like to remind residents to use caution when discarding smoking materials and to do so in non-combustible receptacles a minimum of one (1) meter away from any combustible material," added Doherty.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Marina moving along May 22
- Kelowna closes all sportfields May 22
- Big Red rolls through Kelowna May 22
- Greenway underpasses closed May 22
- Former Miss Kelowna earns gold May 22
- New middle school for Upper Mission May 22
- Victim services honour BC Liquor Stores May 22
- Power back on in East Kelowna May 21
- Tuesday crash sends 4 to hospital May 21
- Quiet start to the summer season May 21