Snowbird performance in jeopardy?
Jul 31, 2012 / 5:00 am
We likely won't know until later today (Tuesday) or Wednesday, whether the Snowbirds performance will go off as scheduled.
Standing in the way, are on-going efforts to fight the wildfire still burning near Wilson's Landing.
Airport Media Relations spokesperson, Jenelle Hynes, says the situation is currently being monitored by all parties concerned.
Hynes says if fire fighting efforts are still going on then the Snowbirds will consult with Transport Canada and the Ministry of Forests to determine if the performance could go ahead as planned.
"Safety for all is the number one priority," says Hynes.
The Snowbirds have several safety measures in place for the show, including a 'sterile zone' on the water, an area where water crafts are not allowed to enter.
They will refuse to fly if any boats creep within that restricted area.
If the show does go as planned, the Snowbirds will perform over Okanagan Lake Wednesday afternoon from 4 p.m. until 4:45 p.m.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Fat Cats looking for cool cats May 23
- Victor Walk impacts Kelowna May 23
- Early morning fire May 23
- Marina moving along May 22
- Kelowna closes all sportfields May 22
- Big Red rolls through Kelowna May 22
- Greenway underpasses closed May 22
- Former Miss Kelowna earns gold May 22
- New middle school for Upper Mission May 22
- Victim services honour BC Liquor Stores May 22