Trial date set for accused murder
Jul 23, 2012 / 1:11 pm
A trial date has finally been set for accused murder Joelon David Atish Verma.
The six to eight week trial will take place September 3, 2013, three years after Verma was originally arrested for the first degree murder and robbery of Brittney Irving.
Irving was reported missing in April of 2010, and according to her brother she was on the verge of a large marijuana deal on the day she vanished.
RCMP say apparently Irving had planned to meet with Verma, to sell the marijuana. Sources tell Castanet that Irving was hooked on a prescription drug called Oxycontin, a highly addictive painkiller, and that she was brokering pot deals to help supply her habit.
Several Voir Dire dates will take place before the actual trial in 2013.
Before his arrest Verma was well known to police, but did not have a criminal record.
A no contact order between the accused and various individuals remains in place until the next court date.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Early morning fire May 23
- Marina moving along May 22
- Kelowna closes all sportfields May 22
- Big Red rolls through Kelowna May 22
- Greenway underpasses closed May 22
- Former Miss Kelowna earns gold May 22
- New middle school for Upper Mission May 22
- Victim services honour BC Liquor Stores May 22
- Power back on in East Kelowna May 21
- Tuesday crash sends 4 to hospital May 21