Hazmat responds to mysterious liquids
Jul 15, 2012 / 11:18 am
The Kelowna Fire Department's Hazmat team was called into action Saturday night after the RCMP discovered a van containing some unknown liquids inside, parked behind Cawston Avenue.
"They found three 19 litre containers of an unknown product in the back of van. They weren't quite sure what is was, so they called in our guys," says Platoon Captain Laurie Serres.
The team donned their gear and removed a sample of the liquid.
"They did a test and determined it's most likely water," says Serres.
However, they couldn't make a determination that it was 100 per-cent water so a clean-up crew was scheduled to come and safely remove the liquid from the van on Sunday.
"The cans were labelled as brake parts cleaner, so whether it would be a mix of that with water, they weren't quite sure. When it comes back inconclusive like that we have to deal with it as a hazardous material."
It's unknown what alerted the RCMP to the presence of the van.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Reaction mixed to Gordon truck route May 24
- A 'purrfect' time to adopt May 24
- Water levels lower on Mission Creek May 24
- Brace yourself for higher gas prices May 24
- Fat Cats looking for cool cats May 23
- Victor Walk impacts Kelowna May 23
- Dangerous Dog Act challenged May 23
- Early morning fire May 23
- Marina moving along May 22
- Kelowna closes all sportfields May 22