Ceiling fan smokes out church
Jul 11, 2012 / 8:15 pm
Video by Jen Zielinski
A fire broke out Wednesday night at the Kelowna Gospel Fellowship Church on Gordon Drive.
The Kelowna Fire Department responded to several 9-1-1 calls reporting heavy smoke coming from the church.
"Upon our arrival there was a small column of black smoke coming from the flat roof area of the church," says Platoon Captain Tim Light.
"We sent a crew to the top and they report that a circulation fan had overheated and started on fire and dropped into the ceiling."
Fire crews were able to extinguish the unit, but had to wait until they were sure the power to the fan was cut off before checking to see if the flames had spread through the ceiling.
No one was inside the building at the time of the fire and an initial assessment shows that damage to the church was minimal.
The investigation into how the fire started is continuing.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Rutland May Days' information May 18
- Knox Mtn. Hill Climb crash May 18
- Gas prices spike ahead of long weekend May 18
- More eyes in the sky May 18
- Body recovered from Ok Lake May 17
- City Hall to ask elected MLAs for cash May 17
- Cyclist hit on Baron Rd. May 16
- Collision causes gas spill May 16
- Cross-dressing groper on the loose May 16
- Kelowna crime down in first quarter May 15