Italian fans make the scene at Gio Bean
Jun 29, 2012 / 5:00 am
Gio Bean: Euro 2012
Viva Italia! Fans celebrated Italy's win over Germany at Gio Bean Espresso in Kelowna, on Thursday.
The event was held by the Order Sons of Italy Kelowna, a new lodge that just opened in the city this past January. It is the only lodge west of Winnipeg, the 31st Sons of Italy has been gathering members and fans to watch Italy play since Euro Cup started.
Terry Calligaro , the treasurer for the Order, says everyone comes to the games to support Italy and have a good time.
"The lodge, mainly supports our language, culture, community, fund-raising and our main focus is to bring our young families into the Order. Just like today, it's a relatively young crowd."
Calligaro says the owner of Gio Bean, Giovanni Lauretta, is a member of the Order in Kelowna and he was more than willing to have everyone watch the game at his coffee shop.
For Italy's last game, the Order held an event at the Bocce Club, and 80 people attended. For Thursday's game 90 people passed through the coffee house over the course of the game, and with Italy taking the win, Calligaro expects even more people will show up to watch the next match, on July 1 at Michael Brook Ranch.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Bridging the gap to detox Jun 18
- RCMP confirm suspicious death Jun 18
- Council wants say on new Cop Shop Jun 18
- Realtors donate to Gospel Mission Jun 18
- Council toasts new liquor establishment Jun 18
- City to test family alcohol zone Jun 18
- Missing teenager has been found Jun 17
- Attempted murder charges laid Jun 17
- Gas leak capped on Borden Ave. Jun 17
- Wiens trial to resume in July Jun 17