Gas leak closes Yates Road
Jun 21, 2012 / 12:21 pm
As gas leak inside a gated community forced the closure of Yates Road between Glenmore and Glenmeadows Road Thursday morning.
Witnesses could smell gas in the area, including near Watson Road Elementary School, as students played outside.
FortisBC crews responded when the leak at Chelsea Gardens, 527 Yates Road, was reported around 10:30 a.m.
By 11:30, the leak had been stopped and repair crews moved in to fix the problem.
"The gas is under control at that site," says FortisBC Spokesperson Tracy Tan. "Their technicians are on site and we're making the necessary repairs
About 19 homes had their gas shut off and once the leak was repaired, Fortis re-lit the pilot lights in the affected homes.
No one was evacuated and the cause is still being determined, although Tan says it appears to have been caused by a third party.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Quiet start to the summer season May 21
- Stabbing arrest May 21
- Last day to register for PlayOn! Kelowna May 21
- Thunderstorm watch in effect May 21
- Calling all green thumbs May 21
- Glenmore crash May 20
- Grad party rollover May 20
- Annual regatta is largest in BC Interior May 19
- Rutland May Day Parade video May 19
- Kasugai Gardens open into the evening May 19