Driving hundreds of kms to feed others
Jun 20, 2012 / 1:33 pm
A local resident is be recognized for his long-time volunteer work with the Kelowna Food Bank.
Don Henke, of Home Instead of Senior Care, presented Jerry Schwartz with their 'Salute to Seniors" Service award for BC.
Schwartz was chosen from among 20 entries across the province.
At the age of 75, Schwartz, began his volunteer service at the Food Bank 24 years ago. Currently he is the driving force behind the charity's perishable food recovery program.
Schwartz says volunteering at the Food Bank keeps him feeling young.
“It’s the need in the community along with the great people that keeps me coming back.”
Each week the dedicated volunteer drives 300 km collecting perishables and prepared food from local venders and delivering it to partner agencies.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Kasugai Gardens open into the evening May 19
- The Week in Review May 19
- Rutland May Days' information May 18
- Knox Mtn. Hill Climb crash May 18
- Gas prices spike ahead of long weekend May 18
- More eyes in the sky May 18
- Body recovered from Ok Lake May 17
- City Hall to ask elected MLAs for cash May 17
- Cyclist hit on Baron Rd. May 16
- Collision causes gas spill May 16